A big part of family elder care is ensuring your loved one’s home is safe from potential hazards. It isn’t possible for you to be with your loved one 24 hours a day to offer assistance and supervision, so here are several important things you should check for:
- Handrails on both sides of all stairs as well as in the shower and around the toilet
- A working fire extinguisher and working smoke alarms
- That non-carpeted floors have slip protection, such as a rug or a non-slip mat
- Shower and bath floors have non-slip mats
- All doors open and close easily and there are no obstacles surrounding any doors
You may also want to invest in a safety alert device that your family member can wear that calls emergency services if needed. In the event your loved one falls or becomes stuck, they simply press the button and assistance is on the way.
How a home care agency can assist you
Companion Care is a home care agency that provides a wide selection of elder family care services, all of which assist you and give you peace of mind. We understand it’s not always possible for you to be there for your loved one, so simply give us a call and our professional and caring staff will do everything they can to assist.
If you’d like more information about Companion Care, if you have any questions about the services we provide, or if you’d like more information about how to best care for an elderly family member, please do not hesitate to contact us today. Discover why so many family caregivers choose us as their home care agency in Mill Creek. We look forward to hearing from you.